Thursday, May 26, 2011

Sarteneja, Corozal, Belize

I miss my bike(s), and I look forward to riding very soon.

I found out on Tuesday where I will be living and working in Belize. Up until this point, I have been in training in Belmopan, and Salvapan. My home will be Sarteneja, and I couldn't be happier. In fact, I was blown away by the decision. http://www.sarteneja.net/

Sarteneja is a small village, population of about 1800, on the Northern Shores of Belize. Smack dab on the ocean! The village is a traditional fishing community (this means I will be eating plenty of fresh fish), and they have also expanded into tourism. My understanding is there are lots of boats, cycling, hiking, scuba/snorkeling, museums, culture, food, and homestays.

In cycling news, I attended my first cycling race on Easter weekend. What can I say about this? Well, we got up early and waited for awhile for the cyclists to ride by. The build-up until they rode by was enthralling to say the least, and then they rode by. Highlight of the day. Of course, there was the lone rider off the front, peloton, and then the people off the back. And there was a sno-cone dude selling concessions.

Here is a picture of Breezie and I waiting for the cyclists.


Here is a picture of other people waiting for the cyclists.

Serious motorcycles for motopacing, and the cyclists are coming.

Finally, the cyclists.

Over and out.



No comments: